Frontier Dakota Territory Beef Barley Bean Stew
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||3-4 hours|
2 tablespoons butter
1 very large onion, sliced
2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat or oxtails
10 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon salt
plenty of freshly ground black pepper
2 to 3 turnips or potatoes, peeled and diced
handful of fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sherry
- Brown onion and meat in butter in an 8 quart pot.
- Add Dakota Soup Mix, broth, salt and pepper and simmer, covered, slowly for 2 to 3 hours (longer for oxtails) or until beans are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add turnips, sherry and mushrooms and continue cooking, covered, for 1 hour or more.
This stewy soup can be made a day ahead or frozen and reheated.
A rich and robust dinner.
Crock Pot Recipe:
Recommended slow cooker: 6 quart
2 T. Butter
1 Very Large Onion, sliced
2-3 lbs. Beef Stew Meat or Oxtails, or use combination of both
10 C. Beef Broth
Plenty of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
2-3 Turnips, or potatoes, peeled & diced
½ Lb. Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
¼ C. Sherry
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In large skillet, brown meat and onion in butter. Drain and transfer to bowl of crock pot. (May cover and refrigerate overnight.)
- Add contents of Dakota Soup Mix, broth, turnips, mushrooms and pepper to crock pot, stir well.
- Cover and cook on High for 8 hours.
- Stir in sherry.